Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Three Bean Black Butte Chili

Winter is settling in up here in Seattle. The chill is starting to creep into my bones. I realize I've been away for a few years, but I don't recall it being quite so blustery. The wind slides through the buildings downtown and slips right through coats. In short, it's time for warm and hearty comfort meals.
Chili has never been a comfort food of mine. It was something I hated as a child. But recently I realized that I love beans and I love soups, so why wouldn't I love chili? In my many visits to Smitten Kitchen, I found Deb's recipe for Three Bean Chili, and I adapted it just slightly to take the chill off a Northwest night.

Three-Bean Chili with Deschutes Black Butte Porter
1 tbsp butter
1/2 a large onion, diced
1 lb ground meat (beef, turkey, pork)
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
3 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 cup Black Butte Porter
2 tbsp chili powder (this was actually quite mild, I recommend revving it up)
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp unsweet cocoa
1 chili in adobo, minced, as well as a bit of the sauce from the can
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, adding a drop of olive oil to stop the butter from burning. Add the onion and the meat, sauteing until browned.
Rinse and drain the beans before adding them to the pot. Add everything else all at once, bring to a boil and then reduce heat, allowing the mixture to simmer for 30-45min.

Serve with cornbread (I haven't yet found a recipe I'm comfortable sharing)) or just a hearty, rustic loaf. Simple meal and perfect for warding off the chill.

No comments: