Sunday, November 01, 2009

Alaskan Winter Glazed Carrots

Now that October is gone, it's time for me to start loosening my grip on pumpkin beers. I've tried about eight this season, and absolutely loved a few, but it's time to start transitioning to winter ales. Even though winter ales began appearing on the shelves at the beginning of October. Don't get me started. It's like Christmas decorations hitting the shelves the day after Halloween. Which, for those of you not keeping track, is today. So I'll give in on the winters, but there will be no Christmas decor until after November 26th.

Last night, rather than dress myself up as a slut-mouse or a slut-Carmen SanDiego or whatever other slut-costumes the rest of the female population chose to barely wear, I made gumbo. And while shopping for the ingredients at a relievingly empty Pike Place, I found a lovely bunch of carrots. I brought them home, thinking I'd make a maple glaze and serve them with the gumbo.

But then, like so many things that happen in this house, I thought, wouldn't these be better with beer? (The alternate question is, of course, wouldn't this be better with Crystal Hot Sauce?) So I grabbed one of the many bottles of Alaskan Winter that we have sitting on the floor and got to work.

Alaskan Winter Maple Glazed Carrots:

Peel a bunch of carrots and slice on the diagonal.
Heat a large skillet to medium. Add a knob of butter and a few drops of chili oil
Throw in the carrots, and some salt, and start sauteeing. Turn up the heat and add about half your bottle of beer (drinking the rest is of course expected; we don't leave fallen soldiers). Add a couple tablespoons of maple syrup (the real stuff, please) as a thickening agent. Turn up the heat and let it bubble away, stirring frequently, until the glaze has reduced.

The spruce tips, spices and caramel in Alaskan Winter make perfect complement to the maple syrup and chili oil.

Enjoy!

No comments: