Sunday, January 31, 2010

I want to be somewhere else

Once again I find myself watching the sky. Although it's 8am, the light is still wavy, and there's a tension between the lead grey skies on this side of the sound and the bleached out blue trying to emerge out above Bremerton.

I'm watching the sky and thinking about how, two weeks from today, I'll be seeing the sky from 4700 miles away. 8 time zones. Something like 18 hours on a plane. But considering my mind seems to reside in GMT half the time anyway, I'm not sure it will be that much of a change.
Let's back up. A few days ago, I was offered the opportunity to head to Europe almost-free. The catch? Leaving in two weeks. Now, I realize that leaving a job when unemployment hovers around 10% in this state is possibly one of the dumbest things a girl can do. However, I do have freelance work, and I live rent-free. After I start law school, when will I have this opportunity again?
I also believe this is something I need to do for my health--both mental and physical. I need to wrap my head around the rest of my life. I have to figure out which school I am setting out for next year (8 possibilities so far). And I have to come to terms with where I am in physical health. It's been nearly 2 years that I've had endo, and yet I still haven't adapted. I don't want to acknowledge I have a chronic pain condition, and I certainly try to ignore my compromised immune system. I operate as though I am in ultimate health. Before I settle into this new stage of law school, I need to figure out how to cope with the days I can't sit up, or need to sleep for sixteen hours. I need to play with diet and I need to strengthen my core. I've been trying for the past six months, but I constantly slip up due to the demands of two jobs, a commute, and attempting to have a social life. If I pull myself out of that cycle, I hope I can figure out exactly what helps my health.
So I've thrown up the flag of surrender and I'm escaping across the Atlantic for a few weeks. While Susan doesn't exactly know where her job is sending her, I know I'll be in Germany and Switzerland, and we might get to head to Italy. And after she leaves, I'm headed to London (!!!) to see K1 and Richard and just be in my favorite city for a few days. Hope to do some volunteer work. And...well...to be at least near Wembley on February 28th for the League Cup final. Yes, I'm that crazy that I will head that direction (Wembley, not Europe in general) just to be near where the Villa will be playing.
The last blog I posted said I wouldn't be using this one for awhile, as I just couldn't find a direction for it, and I wanted to embark on a new project. This is not my new project, but it's certainly an opportunity to quench my wanderlust for a year or so. I'll try to post here while I'm away, and if I've a few months of unemployment on my hands, I'll be posting some recipes when I return.
But for now, time to track down the passport, call the credit card companies, and deliberate over how many pairs of shoes I can fit in my suitcase. I'm going to Europe!!!!!!

3 comments:

Kim Woodbridge said...

That sounds exciting and I'm glad you decided to do it. I left my job in this crappy economy and while I'm not making tons of money, I'm doing fine.

Jealous that you will be in London ;-)

Aaron Campeau said...

Ahem. http://goo.gl/5N0j

Julie Ann Duris said...

I'm happy and excited for you. I hope you'll find in the absence of some of your stress also an absence of fatigue and pain. Maybe this the prescription you needed all along!
God Bless you!