Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Random Indulgence

Sometimes a girl gets tempted.
Sometimes she's on the straight and narrow, headed to the Redmond Whole Foods to pick up some free-range chicken to make a delicious curry, when suddenly traffic backs up and she ends up taking an early exit off the freeway.
And sometimes a girl gets a bit turned around, as this girl is wont to do on the Eastside where none of the streets appear to go the correct direction. And when a girl gets turned around and winds up passing right by the entrance of Malt and Vine, well, what can she do but stop?
Granted, most girls probably wouldn't stop. Or they might stop for a bottle of wine. But I wanted Older Viscosity, and although they were out, I couldn't just walk away. Instead I sat for a tulip of De Proef Van Twee, which had to be one of the strangest beers I've ever sipped. And considering it is a 7.5% beer, and I tend to have a very low alcohol tolerance, I wasn't really feeling up to going shopping for healthy foods.
Nope.
I wanted ice cream.
And not organic or local or organic local.
I wanted Dairy Queen.
A Tagalog Blizzard from DQ, which had been haunting me for months.
So that was my dinner. A blizzard from Dairy Queen.

And let me tell you, if I want to indulge again, that's not going to be the way to do it. Although I am still tempted--clearly--by sugar and corn syrup and mass produced cookies--the less of it I eat, the worse it tastes. This one tasted just like that, like corn syrup and fake peanut butter. I ate it. But I'll do a better job resisting next time.

But damn, those blizzards were good when I was little, and sometimes nostalgia gets the better of me.

1 comment:

emily said...

although it may be discouraging, i heartily applaud this diversion from the straight & narrow. (next time, go for the thin mint blizz)