Sunday, January 03, 2010

Testing, Testing, One Two Three

This morning, I feast.
On crescents and cinnamon rolls from tubes.
Gotta say, these tasted much better five years ago, but the slightly sweet savory crescents aren't too bad. Enough fat and almost anything is tasty, right?
I started this new year on a diet so completely off from my own that it has made me grumpy and sleepy and who knows what else. It's a low-fiber and non-dairy diet, hence the processed foods. After this feast of white flour, I start 24 hours of liquids only, which is why I plan to lock myself in the bedroom with only books and DVDs so that I do not inflict crankiness upon the general public.
No, I'm not doing this because I decided I needed a nice cleanse to start off the new year. Tomorrow I head to the hospital for more tests, this time to determine if I have Crohn's disease. Which doesn't sound fun. I'm trying to avoid thinking about it. I certainly haven't looked up what the diet restrictions would be because it might break the heart of a foodie. Instead I'll sit here with my coffee (including some forbidden cream) and stare at the Sound and remind myself that even if it's painful, I'm still alive, and this coffee still tastes good. And hey, beer's a liquid, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I haven't responded to your questions about diet, though with this post you're closer than you realize. Food without fat is like life without love. Trite, perhaps, but butter really does make everything taste better. And, cream, which is by no means forbidden (unless it's UHT or ultrapasteurized.)

I'm predicting... you don't have Crohn's!

- Andrew (in San Diego)